I am an ecommerce and digital marketing professional with an educational background in industrial and organizational psychology and communication. I have several years of experience in technology management and run a one man consulting firm specializing in helping small business owners get things done on the web. I build clients’ sites with WordPress and teach them to create, build, and manage their presence on the web.
Digital Marketing Agency / Digital Marketing Manager
2019 – 2020, HOUSTON, TX
- Audited and optimized client websites, marketing campaigns, and visitor analytics using industry standard tools and software
- Managed and optimized client ecommerce websites including platform migration, setup and configuration, and limited custom coding
- Managed digital marketing strategies for client websites, mobile ads strategies, email marketing, social media, and other digital ads
Global Product Distributor / Ecommerce Manager
2009 – 2019, HOUSTON, TX
- Developed and maintained high-traffic ecommerce web store with over 6,000 warehoused inventory items and associated product data
- Analyzed and recommended new technologies and integrations to maximize internal efficiency and customer satisfaction with regard to security, cost, and ease-of-use
- Supervised compliance with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS)
- Supervised and maintained in-house software for accounting, inventory, and shipping and receiving
- Supported company leadership with data intelligence and human resources insight
About my time WITH THIS EMPLOYER
My time with this employer was incredibly educational for myself and profoundly evolutionary for the company. I scored a consulting gig here to help them roll out a new ecommerce platform and recruited two capable former colleagues to start the project. In the end we had changed so much of how the company works that we ended up creating the need for someone to manage it all. The employer offered that position to me, and I accepted.
In the following years I made life easier for employees and customers alike by using technology to bridge gaps, link systems, and generally do what MacGuyver would do if he worked in IT with a small budget.
Self-employed Side Work. / Owner, Consultant
2009 – PRESENT (off and on), HOUSTON, TX
- Recommended and implemented web-based ecommerce, search engine optimization, security, and cloud-connected technology solutions to small business owners
- Performed complete ecommerce platform migrations including setup, configuration, and limited custom coding
- Provided clients with competitive intelligence including identifying competitors’ strengths and weaknesses, suppliers, and marketing practices
- Numerous additional services critical to small business owners
About running a 1-person consultancy
I have been in the right place, at the right time, and learned quickly, to find myself in positions where I can help small business owners who are struggling to do the things that have come more naturally to me.
I formed a small LLC in my name and sold my services with the promise of providing competent, capable, and personal service – elements lacking in many customer service models today. I have been recognized as a thought leader in the ecommerce industry, having helped many people at no cost through discussion forums and several media interviews – my most recent in the November 2016 issue of Entrepreneur Magazine.
Technology Products Startup / Operations Manager
2007 – 2008, HOUSTON, TX
- Developed methods for recognizing and tracking company metrics and key performance indicators, contributing to company’s first-year listings in the INC 500
- Supervised flow of order, transaction, and inventory data from ecommerce store through in-house ERP systems
- Led teams to regularly achieve categorical sales and performance goals to maximize
profitability while establishing benchmarks for future measurements
- Scheduled and managed regular physical inventory cycle counts and enacted policies to reduce internal shrink
About working at an INC 500 startup
I interviewed with the owner by way of a job posting for a sales position, but was hired as operations manager at the conclusion of that interview. This little startup had a talented staff, lots of new technology positioned to make it run, and big goals like earning a listing in the Inc 500 – which we did.
My contributions in laying down a framework for efficient workflow, developing a commission compensation plan, and writing an internal Wiki were critical in meeting that goal. I worked closely with a couple other team members to identify, test, and implement new technology solutions to help us along the way; this was something I turned out to both be more adept in and enjoy more, and would position me to seek similar work in the future.
Skills and Competencies
- Fundamentals of web programming, networking, security, analytics, and database management
- Proficiency in Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, Google Ads, Facebook for Business, WordPress, Shopify, SEMrush, and numerous additional industry tools
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Photoshop
- SAAS ecommerce platforms including Amazon, Shopify Plus, BigCommerce, 3dcart / (now Shift4Shop), Volusion
- Analytics Individual Qualification – Google
- Ads Search Certification – Google
- Ads Display Certification – Google
- Inbound Certification – HubSpot
- AWS Solution Provider – Amazon Web Services
I can be left alone to work with WordPress and plugins, ticketing systems, WHM, Plesk, DNS, HTML, CSS, and all things networking-related. Presently I am furthering my education in CentOS Linux, advanced Google Analytics, PHP, and more CSS.
Master of Science in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (in-progress)
- Prominent Research: The effects of background music on workers’ attention and productivity
Bachelor of Science in Psychology; minor in Communications
Prominent Coursework: Management Information Systems