I am an ecommerce and digital marketing professional with an educational background in industrial and organizational psychology and communication. I have several years of experience in technology management and run a one man consulting firm specializing in helping small business owners get things done on the web. I build clients’ sites with WordPress and teach them to create, build, and manage their presence on the web.
My LLC / Consultant
2009 – PRESENT (off and on), HOUSTON, TX
- Research, recommend, and implement ecommerce, digital marketing, security, and payment solutions
- Provide custom product information management and data manipulation services
- Perform complete ecommerce platform migrations including configuration and app research
- Provide additional services as needed including product photography and competitive intelligence
- Numerous additional services critical to small business owners
About running a 1-person consultancy
I have been in the right place, at the right time, and learned quickly, to find myself in positions where I can help small business owners who are struggling to do the things that have come more naturally to me.
I formed a small LLC in my name and sold my services with the promise of providing competent, capable, and personal service – elements lacking in many customer service models today. I have been recognized as a thought leader in the ecommerce industry, having helped many people at no cost through discussion forums and several media interviews – my most recent in the November 2016 issue of Entrepreneur Magazine.
Product Retailer / Consultant (Contract)
2020- 2021, REMOTE
- Recommended changes to modernize design and user experience on three ecommerce properties
- Evaluated and recommended changes to existing digital marketing channels including Google Ads, Facebook Ads, Google Shopping, and email marketing campaigns for three brands and properties
- Established Affiliate and Influencer referral programs utilizing existing and third-party tools
- Established framework for production of content for planned YouTube brand channel
- Established documentation for brand design standards
Digital Marketing Agency / Ecommerce Project Manager
2019 – 2020, HOUSTON, TX
- Responsible for full scope ecommerce project estimates, timelines, and implementations
- Managed relationships with software vendors and freelancers to ensure timely quality deliverables
- Audited client websites and analytics reports for user experience and marketing opportunities
- Performed platform migration, setup and configuration, and data manipulation
- Worked closely with marketing team to incorporate clients’ digital marketing strategies
Global Product Distributor / Ecommerce Manager
2009 – 2019, HOUSTON, TX
- Responsible for high-volume multichannel web store with over 6,000 SKUs warehoused on-site
- Managed product information aggregated from over 120 manufacturers and suppliers
- Performed professional product photography and editing for web store, marketing, and print catalog
- Evaluated and recommended new technologies and integrations to streamline user experience, reduce cart abandonment, and maximize efficiency of internal
Responsible for on-site ERP and data connections to warehouse, shipping, and packaging departments
- Supported company leaders and stakeholders with web analytics, inventory and sales data analysis, and competitive intelligence
- Developed zero-cost process for reconciling out of stock products with ERP and web store, reducing unnecessary order fulfillment delays and post-sale communication with customers by 80%
About my time WITH THIS EMPLOYER
My time with this employer was incredibly educational for myself and profoundly evolutionary for the company. I scored a consulting gig here to help them roll out a new ecommerce platform and recruited two capable former colleagues to start the project. In the end we had changed so much of how the company works that we ended up creating the need for someone to manage it all. The employer offered that position to me, and I accepted.
In the following years I made life easier for employees and customers alike by using technology to bridge gaps, link systems, and generally do what MacGuyver would do if he worked in IT with a small budget.
Technology Products Startup / Operations Manager
2007 – 2008, HOUSTON, TX
- Developed methods for recognizing and tracking company metrics and key performance indicators, contributing to company’s first-year listings in the INC 500
- Supervised flow of order, transaction, and inventory data from ecommerce store through in-house ERP systems
- Led teams to regularly achieve categorical sales and performance goals to maximize
profitability while establishing benchmarks for future measurements
- Scheduled and managed regular physical inventory cycle counts and enacted policies to reduce internal shrink
About working at an INC 500 startup
I interviewed with the owner by way of a job posting for a sales position, but was hired as operations manager at the conclusion of that interview. This little startup had a talented staff, lots of new technology positioned to make it run, and big goals like earning a listing in the Inc 500 – which we did.
My contributions in laying down a framework for efficient workflow, developing a commission compensation plan, and writing an internal Wiki were critical in meeting that goal. I worked closely with a couple other team members to identify, test, and implement new technology solutions to help us along the way; this was something I turned out to both be more adept in and enjoy more, and would position me to seek similar work in the future.
Skills and Competencies
- Fundamentals of web programming, networking, security, analytics, and database management
- Ecommerce: Shopify Plus, BigCommerce, Shift4Shop / 3DCart, WooCommerce, Webgility, Salsify, Searchspring, Algolia
- Web: HTML, CSS, DNS, Plesk, cPanel, WordPress
- Software: Office 360, Google Workspace, QuickBooks Enterprise, Adobe Photoshop, Sage, Stone Edge
- Digital Marketing: Google Analytics, Google Ads, Google My Business, SEMrush, Ahrefs
I can be left alone to work with WordPress and plugins, ticketing systems, WHM, Plesk, DNS, HTML, CSS, and all things networking-related. Presently I am furthering my education in CentOS Linux, advanced Google Analytics, PHP, and more CSS.
Master of Science in Industrial and Organizational Psychology (in-progress)
- Prominent Research: The effects of background music on workers’ attention and productivity
Bachelor of Science in Psychology; minor in Communications
Prominent Coursework: Management Information Systems